Monday, October 3, 2011

Review: "Claiming the Highlander" by Kinley MacGregor

Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)Claiming the Highlander by Kinley MacGregor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Kinley MacGregor's books are known to be funny and fast-paced, and I think this book is a good example of that. I was in the mood for something light, so I really enjoyed this read.

Braden and Maggie were very likable, and I especially enjoyed seeing the small glimpses of their childhood friendship. Close in age, they had known each other since forever and it was charming to see them remember the several encounters they'd had over the years. They didn't know it - well, Braden didn't know it - but they belonged together since he first "saved her life", when she was only a fiery seven-year-old girl and he was a ten-year-old lad.

The story took place mostly "on the road", following Maggie, Braden and his brother Sin on the way to try and negotiate peace with the MacDouglas's, a feuding clan of the MacAllister's. Obviously, Braden found himself falling in love with Maggie during their journey, finally catching up with her, who had always loved him. I kept wondering if Sin felt like a "third wheel" there, but I guess he was just cool and sarcastic enough not to care.

As for the feud between the MacAllisters and the MacDouglases, I thought it was too easily solved. Call me bloodthirsty, but I wanted to see striking swords and battered bodies - something grand like what happened in the end of Master of Desire, the 1st book in the series. Oh well, it was nice enough to see Braden say he would die for Maggie, though. :)

In the end, I closed the book with a smile on my face and the assurance that I can always count on Ms. MacGregor to deliver a quick and amusing read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment