Friday, February 25, 2011

Review: "Harm's Hunger" by Patrice Michelle

Harm's HungerHarm's Hunger by Patrice Michelle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wow, I'm impressed at how much I've enjoyed this read. This (very short) story could have gone seriously wrong with me because Harm and Jena had one of those insta-love relationships that require a huge suspension of disbelief to work, but somehow Ms. Michelle made me overlook that.

Here's the gist of the story: Harm and Jena meet, lust takes over and, minutes later, they're jumping each other's bones before introducing themselves and exchanging the most simple pleasantries; then they become "enemies" when they find out the other's identity (he wants to buy her ranch, she isn't sure she wants to sell it); then they have a minor car accident and he loses his memory; she takes advantage of the situation to try and smooth things between them, they fall in love... and we all know what happens next. But here's the exceptional twist to this fairly common plot: all that happens in the span of 24 hours! Yes, Harm and Jena go from being complete strangers to engaged to be married in one single day!

You must be thinking I'm crazy for giving this book 4 stars, but what can I say? I really liked it. I know the story was unrealistic, but I liked Harm and Jena: they were nice and fun, their love scenes were sexy and hot (once I got past the sex-with-strangers setup) and I wanted them to be together. At the end of the day, that's what matters when I read a romance book, no matter how unbelivable the story is. It's all in the writing: some authors can make me buy anything, others can't. Based on this read, Ms. Michelle belongs in the former group.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment