Sunday, July 24, 2011

Review: "The Immortal Highlander" by Karen Marie Moning

The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Damn, it's good to be Adam Black - sorry, I couldn't resist, LOL - but I bet it's better to be Adam Black's lover!

Adam is one of those heroes you just love to hate - or hate to love, either way works for me. He was selfish, arrogant, manipulative and didn't have any qualms about using anyone and anything to his own advantage. He was also as handome and sexy as one can be, which only helped him to get what he wanted. BUT there was something beneath all that, something that shouldn't be there considering he was basically a soulless and unfeeling Fae. Had it always been there? I really didn't see it in the previous book in the series, and I think KMM has done a great job making me believe in Adam's "change of heart" - figuratively speaking, since Faes don't have hearts.

Gabby was funny and likeable, but not really remarkable. I think the "problem" was, Adam stole the show and she didn't have enough "spark" to stand on her own. Bottom line, she wasn't as interesting as Lisa, Gwen and Chloe, the heroines in the previous books. BTW, Gwen, Chloe and their respective MacKeltar husbands - sighs! - make more than an simple appearance and play important roles in The Immortal Highlander. I have to say, their reactions when they see Adam "in the flesh" for the first time was priceless, LOL. I had expected to see Circenn too - after all, he was Adam's son - but he was a no-show. Oh well, we can't always have it all, right?

Once again, KMM told a story that kept me captivated and entertained. The love scenes were hot - not hard to imagine, since Adam oozed sex appeal - and there was always something happening to keep me turning the pages anxiously. Aoibheal's revelation after she restored Adam's immortality was unexpected and I had a hard time buying it. I really didn't see how he could have been fooled like that. Anyway, that wasn't enough to ruin the story for me.

This book was nicely tied to the previous ones in the series - I particularly liked how Adam made everything "right" for Circenn and Lisa, the H/h in The Highlander's Touch -, so this is one series that definitely must be read in order.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment