Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review: "Lord of Scoundrels" by Loretta Chase

Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Having read this book praised all over the net, I confess I was a bit afraid of being disappointed. In the end, I WAS somewhat disappointed, because it didn´t wowed me as much as I expected. I really liked LOS, but it´s not my #1 all-time favorite book.

What I loved:

1- The hero and the heroine, Jessica and Dain, were not like the standard characters so common in historical romances, that is, the gorgeous hero and the naive heroine. From the beginning, I was captivated by characters who "broke the mold", so to speak. I particularly loved Jessica and her honest acceptance of her attraction to Dain.

2- The dialogue was amazing. Jessica and Dain´s interactions were very amusing and I found myself laughing several times.

3- LC´s writing style was paced with witty and funny remarks, that kept the story flowing seamlessly.

What I didn´t like (and prevented LOS from being a keeper):

1- To put it simply, I had some problems with Dain´s sometimes "childish" behavior towards Jessica (okay, it was funny at first, but enough is enough and it only made him look stupid in the end). His inital refusing to accept his bastard son wasn´t something to be admired either.

2- The secondary characters, especially that awful Beaumont and that silly Ainswood, were like "caricatures" and didn´t have much depth.

All things considered, it was a book worth reading and I had a pleasant time doing it. :)



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled across your blog by way of the Great and Powerful Google while curiosity searching on Arabian Pearl by Emma Wildes. I like your reviews and that one did a wonderful job of deciding me on not wasting my money there. So for money you saved me, I had to give you a comment in return and, since I too am mystified at the deification of Lord of Scoundrels, this is where my first comment will go. It's a very good book, but by Loretta Chase standards I do not understand the overweening love. At the end of the day, Dain is a dolt and not in the good way that Rupert Carsington is a dolt. My favorite by Chase is A Knave’s Wager followed closely by Miss Wonderful for whatever that might be worth. And since I’m in that sort of mood today, I’ll leave a few more comments elsewhere. Good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynn! :) My favorite by Chase is 'The Last Hellion', which was a very nice surprise considering I didn't like Ainswood in this book. Trust Chase to turn the table on me like a master.

    ReplyDelete