Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review: "Maverick's Black Cat" by Maggie Casper & Lena Matthews

Maverick's Black Cat (The Boulevard, #1)Maverick's Black Cat by Maggie Casper

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I've always been scared of the heavy BDSM scenario, so I was a bit wary when I started reading this story. Even though this book was recommended to me by a fellow reader who knows how wimpy I am when it comes to kinky sex scenes, I couldn't help experiencing some heart palpitations when I decided to give it a try. Now that I'm finished reading it, I'm still having heart palpitations... but they're the good kind. ;)

Catarena Vaughn has dreamed of becoming a writer for years, but success hasn't knocked on her door yet. Decided to write an erotic novel set in the BDSM world, she turns to the internet for research - after all, we all know we can find anything online these days, right? So she dons the cyber name "Black Cat" and joins a cyber sex site to get the info she needs to write a realistic BDSM novel. She just wants to lurk around and see what's going on, but she's quickly disgusted by all the leery suggestions she receives while hanging around and decides to leave the main board and enter a different chat room. Best. Decision. Ever!

Mason "Maverick" Broderick knows all about the BDSM lifestyle, even though he isn't either a Dom or, perish the thought, a Sub. He just needs to be the one in control, all the time and all the way, knows how to deliver a good, arousing spanking, and likes to play with toys. He's joined the cyber sex site on a friend's request, but it looks like he's been stood up. So when "Black Cat" enters his chat room unexpectedly and he learns what she's looking for, his interest is piqued and he's more than happy to provide her with all the info she needs... as long as she agrees to "play" online with him. Oh well, a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do, right? All in the name of research, of course!

Maverick and Black Cat's online relationship gets hot and steamy pretty quickly, and the sexual tension escalates until he becomes quite obsessed with her. But everything is "safe and sound" since they don't know each other outside their private cyber world. Or do they?

Wow, I'm still surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. So many things (the BDSM scenario, cyber sex, voyeurism, Mason and Caterena's real life relationship, etc.) could have rubbed me the wrong way, but it all worked out fairly well. Mason was very dominant - in and outside the bedroom - and had "stalker" printed on his forehead, but his obsessive behavior didn't freak me out because Catarena wasn't submissive in any way and could give as hard as she could get. That didn't mean she was an alpha b!tch, though. She was just strong enough to stand her ground when she needed to and to let him take control when he needed to. Their love scenes - both in the virtual and the real world - were scorching hot, and it was a good thing I had a full bucket of ice in my freezer, LOL.

All in all, this was a very good read, with likable (and a bit kinky) characters, an interesting plot that was more than just about sex and "research", and a nice and satisfying HEA. Definitely, one of the best romantica novels I've read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment