Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: "Stolen by the Sheikh" by Marianne LaCroix

Stolen by the SheikhStolen by the Sheikh by Marianne LaCroix

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


The setting (Morocco, 1912) was interesting, but I'm sorry to say that it was the only thing I liked in this very short read.

The "hero" was an asshat, the "heroine" was a wimp, and the story, as simple as it was, had two of my great pet peeves in Romancelandia: the forced seduction scenario and the secret baby plot device. I knew beforehand that the story contained forced seduction scenes, but I was willing to give the book the benefit of the doubt because likable characters and a good setup could make me buy the whole enchilada. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. :( As for the secret baby plot line, I just couldn't understand why it had to be included in the book. It happened near the end of the story and added nothing to it, as there was simply no more pages left in the book to deal with the subject in a proper way.

At the end of the day, I can't even recommend this read for the smut, because that didn't work for me. I'm not a prude, as I've read many smut-ish, PWP books before and I'm certainly going to read that kind of book again. However, one thing has to happen for me to enjoy them: I need to like the characters. That isn't much to ask, is it?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment