Monday, August 8, 2011

Review: "Dark Lover" by J.R. Ward

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had this book sitting on my TBR for a while, but I wasn´t too compelled to read it because, quite frankly, vampires were always a bit too creepy for me. Anyway, I was finally convinced to give it a try and, thankfully, I was not disappointed. :)

I confess that the whole bloodsucking stuff is still kinda creepy to me - I know some people find it sexy, but I just don´t get it -, so I thank J.R. Ward for toning it down and not making such a big deal out of it. These BDB vampires are completely different from what I was used to see and read "everywhere" else, and I feel like those humans Wrath mocked when he explained to Beth how wrong our beliefs were, LOL.

I really liked the world and the story arc created by J.R. Ward, but some things were a bit over the top. Since it´s PNR, I could let it go more easily, but there were one or two moments where I found myself sighing - and not in a good way.

I also thought that there were some moments that would have been best served by showing instead of telling. Some scenes were "interrupted" in the middle, never to be picked up again. Instead, I was told what happened by one of the characters musings or, worse, by the "narrator". I don´t know if this was the author´s choice or if she was "forced" to do it in order to reduce the lenght of the book, but the end result is, this writing style didn´t work too well for me.

As for the characters, I really liked Wrath and Beth, both strong and deeply in love with each other - I LOVED their mating ceremony! -, but it was the whole ensemble that attracted me: the Brotherhood (Tohrment, Rhage, Vishous, Phury and Zsadist), Butch and Marissa - I got the feeling that they had almost as much "screen time" as Wrath and Beth -, Havers, and even Mr. X. I know Dark Lover is labeled as a romance novel - and there is a good romance story in it - but it´s more than "just" that, IMHO. And that´s not a bad thing... :)

Photobucket



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment