Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: "The Lady Most Likely.." by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Connie Brockway

The Lady Most Likely...: A Novel in Three PartsThe Lady Most Likely...: A Novel in Three Parts by Julia Quinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I keep reading Julia Quinn's books hoping to find the lovely, sweet magic that made the Bridgertons series great and has been gone (to only the gods know where) since then. Sadly, The Lady Most Likely...: A Novel in Three Parts was a huge disappointment in that regard... Ms. Quinn is still true to her fluffy writing style - which can be fun as she's already proven before - but I couldn't find myself caring for her H/h, Alec and Gwendolyn, in her contribution to this uneven anthology. They were blah, had no chemistry, and their falling in love was too sudden to make their HEA believable. :(

Thankfully, Connie Brockway's story was better - most likely because her H/h, Neill and Katherine, shared a past that made their HEA less abrupt and more believable. Ms. Brockway's writing was too descriptive at times, but not enough to bore me. Plus, it allowed me to "know" Neill and Katherine better. I liked how honorable Neill was and how spirited Katherine was, and liking the main characters is very important when it comes to short stories. Ms. Brockway got it right there. :)

Now, Eloisa James's story... What can I say? I loved it! Her writing style, her characters, their playfulness and hot chemistry, the story itself... What's not to like? It's funny how I can't find anything else to say about this story. Oh well, "I loved it!" will have to do, LOL.

All things considered, this was "only" a nice anthology. All the stories are connected and I think you get more of the overall plot if you read all of them, but that isn't a must - especially if you find yourself bored by the first stories. After you read the first chapters of the book and get a grip on the plot, you can skip ahead anytime you feel like it. Just don't skip the last story! That one is a winner. :D




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment