Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review: "Lady with a Black Umbrella"

Lady with a Black Umbrella (Signet Regency Romance, AE 6222)Lady with a Black Umbrella by Mary Balogh

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What a delightful book! There's really no other adjective to describe it. This was one of the funniest reads I've had, and I found myself smiling, chuckling and laughing the whole time.

Giles and Daisy were both adorable. Giles didn't know what to do with her at first but, little by little, she made a place in his life - and his heart - and, before he realized it, he couldn't see himself living without her. Ms. Balogh has done an excellent job showing Giles and Daisy's slow but steady growing affection, and then love, towards each other, and I can easily see them living happily ever after. I'd go as far as to say that I wouldn't mind reading about them even after their HEA. It would be one heck of a funny read, considering Daisy's "talent" to get herself in trouble - not that she ever acknowledged that "special gift" of hers, of course. :)

The secondary love story involving Arthur, Giles's brother, and Rose, Daisy's sister, was also very charming, though more "serious" in tone, and added to my overall enjoyment. While Giles's marriage proposal to Daisy cracked me up, Arthur's proposal to Rose was sight-worthy. I felt lucky, as if I had landed a two-for-one deal. Not bad, considering this was a short novel.

This was only my 3rd book by Ms. Balogh - I know, where have I been living all these years?!? - and she's yet to disappoint me. Considering how huge is her backlist, I'm in for a long, long treat!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment