Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Review: "If You Deceive" by Kresley Cole

If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)If You Deceive by Kresley Cole

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I felt a bit uneasy at the beginning of the book, as the idea of having the hero almost having sex with the mother of the heroine wasn't something I thought I could easily overcome. Well... I should've known better than doubt Ethan! Way before I was halfway through the story, I was already in love in him. :) Obviously, that event would have to come back from the past to "bite him in the arse", and that was the only "fault" I found in him: he really should have come clean and told everything to Maddie, instead of playing the odds and hoping that she would never find that out.

Maddie was a breath of fresh air: very straightforward and honest about her feelings, she was what a man as callous as Ethan needed to "settle down". Unlike the heroines in the first two books in this series, Maddie wasn't coy and didn't play silly games in the pretense of being "feisty and daring", and I really loved her.

Before I read the MacCarrick Brothers Trilogy, I'd thought that the ongoing theme was the curse that haunted the brothers and how they would get rid of it. In a way, it was... But the funny thing is, the curse didn't play a major role in this book, which ended up being the best in the series! Without the curse hanging over Ethan's head, I was saved from the push-pull behavior that plagued his brothers in the previous books, and that was a relief.

As I've noticed before, Ms. Cole's writing sounds too "modern" sometimes and that can be a little distracting. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed reading this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment