Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: "If You Dare" by Kresley Cole

If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1)If You Dare by Kresley Cole

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I'd heard some "bad" things about the heroine of this book before I started reading it, so I was "prepared" to sigh and roll my eyesballs a lot while going through it. As it turned out, I only did it once! :) Yes, Annalía was obnoxious towards Court and did some stupid things, but I understood her reasons and, quite frankly, he was partly responsible for her acting like that.

Court wasn't one of the best heroes I've ever met either. I didn't really connect with him, and I thought he was quite disrespectful with Annalía at first. I mean, she saved his life and he repaid her by taking over her house as if it was his right!?!

All of that happened in the first third of the book and, thankfully, the story (and Court and Annalía) got better after that. I like love/hate stories, but Court and Annalía's initial bickering wasn't working for me. It was too snarky to be fun. But once they started acting like civilized people, I enjoyed following their story.

This was my first read by Kresley Cole and I liked her writing. It sounded too modern sometimes, but I'm not neurotic about historical accuracy so that didn't bother me too much. All in all, I wasn't wowed by this first book in the MacCarrick Brothers Trilogy, but I had fun reading it and I'm curious enough about Court's brothers, Hugh and Ethan, to read their books. That's good enough for a first book in a series, don't you think? ;)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment