Sunday, May 22, 2011

Review: "The Wicked West" by Victoria Dahl

The Wicked WestThe Wicked West by Victoria Dahl

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed this quick, sexy little read. Sheriff Tom Hale and Mrs. Lily Anders were made for each other: he was a closeted Dom trying to control his kinky urges and she was a wicked sub bent on making him let his "inner beast" run free and spank her into orgasmic oblivion.

The sex scenes were all good and steamy hot, even though their kinkiness was slightly tamed - I mean, there was no "backdoor" loving, which I admit I had expected to find considering the premise of the story. Mind you, I'm not complaining, I'm just sayin'... ;)

I liked Ms. Dahl's writing style in general, but the way she described some of the sex scenes turned me off. So, I knew that both Hale and Lily got off on pain - he enjoyed delivering it and she loved receiving it - and that was more than OK for them. Ms. Dahl left no doubt that Hale's punishments hurt Lily, the harder the better. They were in heaven, while I was cringing like a wuss... You see, I live in my own delusional little world where pain has no place in the bedroom, so I need my authors to sugarcoat the BDSM scenes for me. It was all in Ms. Dahl's choice of words: if she had used the word "pleasure" instead of "pain" and "hurt", I'd have been blissfully happy - despite the fact that those words were synonyms in Lily's mind. Anyway, that's just a quirk of mine and it didn't bother me enough to ruin this read for me.

All things considered, this was still a very good and enjoyable story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment