Monday, May 2, 2011

Review: "Wild Card" by Lora Leigh

Wild Card (Elite Ops, #1)Wild Card by Lora Leigh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Based on everything I'd heard about Lora Leigh's books, I started reading Wild Card with some caution. But I'd also heard that this book was very good and not too heavy on her usual "style", so I decided to give it a try. Well, I'm happy I did. :)

I loved the setting and the story. I was surprised by the identity of the villain who had been leaking all the info to the bad guys (I won't go into details here, for it would be a major spoiler) and I was literally sitting at the edge of my chair when the final showdown came. I knew everything would be alright in the end, of course, but I felt anxious nevertheless. I could see the whole scene in my mind, very exciting!

I liked the cast of characters too, even though there were so many secondary characters that I didn't know who was who sometimes. Although I haven't read the Tempting SEALs series yet, I know some of those characters had their stories told in those books and now I wonder if I should go back and read them. It was also quite obvious that other secondary characters are going to "star" in the following books of the Elite Ops series, and I'm definitely going to check them out. :)

Now, the "bad" news... Noah and Bella grated on my nerves more time than I'd care to count. I could understand how hard their lives had been, but they took their "silence" a bit too far. Why couldn't they talk about their past more openly? It was okay to hold a grudge at first, but it got tiresome after a while and I just wanted to smack both their heads.

As for the sex scenes, wow, can you have too much of a good thing? Well, you can! I confess, I skimmed through several of them because they were distracting me from the action. I like a hot, sexy "interlude" as anyone else, but there's no need to go "over the top".

All things considered, I've enjoyed reading this book and I'm open to try other books by this author - as long as it doesn't contain either BDSM or ménage, that is!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment