Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: "As Luck Would Have It" by Alissa Johnson

As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)As Luck Would Have It by Alissa Johnson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I just found a new author to glom. :D

Sophie Everton is returning to London after 12 years away traveling the world with her father. On her journey home, she's approached by a Mr. Smith who tells her that her father's estate is in financial trouble and her father is basically broke (thanks to her idiot cousin, Lord Loudor, who was left in charge of running the estate 12 years ago). Mr. Smith, who's a government agent, is willing to pay her a hefty sum of money, that will save her father's estate, if she agrees to spy on her cousin and some of his unsavory friends who are suspects of treason. Sophie thinks hard... and agrees.

Alex Durmant, the Duke of Rockeforte, is approached by William Fletcher, the head of England's War Department, to do the same. But he isn't friends with Lord Loudor and his courtship, so William's plan is to have Alex to court Sophie in order to gain access to her cousin's inner circle of friends. Reluctantly, Alex agrees to the plan.

And so it begins this lovely story... Alex and Sophie meet, circle around each other without knowing they're working on the same mission, and fall in love in the process.

Oh, how I loved this book! Alex and Sophie were adorable, their banter was LOL funny and kept me entertained from beginning to end. I really enjoyed their conversations and how they spent time together and got to know each other before falling in love. There was no love at first sight, not even lust at first sight. There was only attraction at first sight and that was just right. That said, one might wonder what the book's steam level is... Let me just say that Alex's manhood didn't start throbbing and Sophie's thighs didn't get, er, moist every time they met, LOL.

Most of the secondary characters (especially Alex's friend Whit and Sophie's friend Mirabelle) were also wonderful - exception made to Lord Loudor and his friends, of course. I'm not saying they were found guilty of treason in the end - you'll have to read the book to find that out - but they were quite obnoxious.

As for the plot, I have to say that it was rather flimsy at times and the ending, while surprising, was unrealistic. But I didn't care, because I just had too much fun reading this book and decided to suspend disbelief all the way. :) A good writer can get away with anything if she gives me characters that I can't help but love and a story that makes me forget everything but the sheer enjoyment of reading the book.

In one sentence: this book was amazing!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment