Friday, March 25, 2011

Review: "Crazy Hot" by Tara Janzen

Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Hot hardasses in hot wheels + TSTL hot babes + one-dimensional villains + flimsy plot = fun, mindless summer reading.

I knew I had to suspend disbelief to enjoy this book and I was fully prepared to do so, but Ms. Janzen's writing didn't help me. It was easy to read, I give you that, but it wasn't engrossing enough to keep me captivated. Quinn Younger and Regan McKinney were supposedly the H/h, but there were so many characters and storylines going on at the same time that the story lost its focus. Exhibit A: the single sex scene between Quinn's friend Kid and Regan's sister Nikki was longer, more intense and more sensual than any of the sex scenes between Quinn and Regan. That's just wrong!

As this is the 1st book in the series, I understand the author's need to "set the stage" for future books, but I think Ms. Janzen took things too far. Every frickin' character that popped up in the story had their own 15 minutes (or more) of fame and the too frequent change of POV drove me insane. I wasn't confused with who was who and I had no problem following the story, I just didn't enjoy being "interrupted" in the middle of a scene with Quinn and Regan only to see whatever was happening in whoever's life. That prevented me from connecting with them - and when I can't connect with the H/h, the romance falls flat.

As for the plot, it was fun but had more holes than a Swiss cheese. Exhibit B: Quinn was a former Air Force pilot, a national hero who'd been featured on the cover of Time Magazine, Newsweek and the front page of every major newspaper in America. Incredibly, he managed to land a job working undercover among the bad guys. WTF? How come nobody recognized him? Were they blind? There were more jarring moments like that, but this is a spoiler-free review rant so I rest my case.

Based on what I wrote above, you must be wondering why I'm giving this book 3 stars - which isn't an altogether bad rating. Well, what can I say? Even with all its flaws, this was an OK book. It kept me entertained while I read it, but I didn't find myself glued to its pages and it won't stay with me now that I finished it.

Am I going to read the next book in the series? Maybe, when I'm in the mood for more mindless fun. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment